Friday, June 5, 2009

And Today I Fried My Alarm Clock....

It's true unfortunately. But other than that, today has been great!

We went with Scott and Valerie to eat real Isaan food at a nice restaurant for lunch. A traditional Isaan meal is similar to a southern meal at thanksgiving. Several dishes are arranged in the middle of the table, and everyone shares! Today, we had.....well, lots of things I can't say, but among the dishes were three whole fish, a spicy thai salad, plates of fried garlic pork strips, and a bowl of spicy shrimp soup. Most all of it was delicious! After lunch we went to the Paynes to have desert, and Valerie's cookies were amazing!

But tonight was incredible. We were invited to the home of "Ahh Jahhn" (Professor) Ben's house. There are three groups of people at dinner tonight - young American college students, brilliant Thai professors, and two American missionaries. We had a blast! The food was great, and the company was even better! Most of the Thai's English was excellent so communication was easy. After dinner and fruit, we played a game. I won't go into the details, but the night was filled with laughter! It was really really really cool.....

Okay, update on the week:

Monday: drove around Maha Sarakham and saw where we would be teaching.

Tuesday: drove three hours to Mukdahan to sort out some visa trouble with the two of the girls.

Wednesday: prepared to teach English for next week and went grocery shopping.

Thursday: signed up Pharmacy students for English class in the morning. In the afternoon, I got to play the piano, yes!


I would just like to say that I'm addicted to smoothies. They're like 60 cents, and they're better than any smoothie I've ever had in the states. I'm gonna get fat....

stu

2 comments:

  1. And the jealousy continues lol...When I just read about you going to the Payne's I wanted to be there so badly! I am so glad that you get to experience Thailand! Keep drinking those smoothies for me...and Please get an Iced coffee (cafe yin ban) they are sooooo good...and they won't make you fat :) I had one everyday and I came home lighter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they make you fat, you'll like like you do in those pictures that I found in my church desk drawer from 10 years ago....

    ReplyDelete