Sunday, May 31, 2009

Stu "Baaah"

Means "crazy stu." Such is learning a new language. "Ba" means "let's go," but I must have held it a little longer than I was supposed to and it turned into the word "crazy" in Thai. And the Thai girls thought that that was pretty funny so that decided to stick it to the end of my name. haha I hope "stu baaah" won't stick too much.

Yesterday we met up with some Thai students and went to the Big C to meet our missionaries to eat. The three girls were Rinda, Lek (which means small), and Tiap. They were so welcoming and jumped at the chance to practice their English with us. In the process we also learned a little Thai. This reminds me how I always enjoy diving into another's culture and language and customs. It's definitely not easy. Thai is a whole other system. The language is tonal, and it has 5 tones: mid, low, high, rising, and falling. So what this means is that the same two words can have totally separate meanings based on the way you say it. For example: "sahm" with a low tone means "fork," but "sahm" with a rising tone means the number 3....I think...

Anyway, enough with the language lesson.

I'd like to go ahead and say that this team is incredible. So far our trip has been bathed in prayer and scripture. I feel like I've discovered a new love for the Word of God. I am reminded how active and living it actually is! I know that God has great things in store for our team and our ministry here. He is so good, and his love endures forever!

The missionary family is so great as well. Scott and Valerie have both been here for 12 years and I sense in them an amazing love for the Isaan people. Their three kids are cool too. Elliot, 8, is a ton of fun! I've never been great with kids, but I love this kid! I think he likes me pretty well too.

This morning our team had church. It was simple. And it felt right. We read and discussed a passage in 1 Peter, prayed, and worshipped with music. It was good :)

This afternoon is the Thai service. Which I won't understand....haha but that's okay! But this is it for now. Here's a thought: The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

stu

No comments:

Post a Comment