Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Yodshine" and Korean BBQ

Not exactly sure what it means, but it's my Thai nickname...haha

This week was our first week of teaching, and it's been really great so far! Monday was short and sweet with first year english majors. Tuesday Hannah and I were with hotel management students, and it went really well! (Tuesday, they named me "Yodshine") That afternoon some of our students asked us to go to dinner with them that night which was kinda cool. Honestly, I didn't expect them to show up, but I'll talk about that in a sec.... Yod and Tik gave us a ride home from the hotel managment building on their motorcycles which was a ton of fun! Seriously, it was really really fun, kinda scary but really fun!

Wednesday, Sarah Beth (SB) and I taught hotel management that morning, and we had the afternoon off. That afternoon I took a nap, something I've been doing a lot of recently!

Today, I have the day off with Lydia and Hannah. The other three are teaching hotel management students, and they'll have the day off tomorrow.

Anyway, back to dinner on tuesday. The students did show up! They took us a to a Korean BBQ place that the Paynes wanted to take us to last week, but it was too busy. Okay, so this is the system: it's like a buffet, there are several cooked dishes that you choose from, there are probably 12-15 different types of raw meat you can choose from, and there are vegetables and noodles. You cook your own meat and vegetables at the table. It's hard to explain what the grilling contraption looks like, and I can't find a good picture to post on here....but it was awesome! In the middle of dinner, an elephant showed up near the entrance to the restaurant! We could feed it! And we did! And it was awesome! I ate some squid and some other things that Yod would put on my plate, haha, but it was all pretty good. Dessert was homemade ice cream or fruit, and both were delicious. So we had all-you-can-eat of any type of meat and ice cream and fruit and Thai dishes.....You would think, "wow that's gotta be like 15-20 bucks at least." Ladies and gentleman, I paid a measly 3 dollars. Let that just sink in for a second....

Well, we're hosting a party at our apartment tomorrow night, and we need to get ready for that, so until next time!

stu

No comments:

Post a Comment